Sunday 6 April 2008

Four outs

So I limp in with 87s on the button. I flop the flush. Some guy bets into me and I raise pretty big.

The turn pairs.

You know, I just know he will have it. He'd need AT or T9.

Yeah, he has T9. It's unreal. Just four fucking outs on the turn.

Four outs. You'd think they'd just occasionally miss!

***

Mind you, a minute later, on another table, I have 77. The flop comes T87. Some guy bets big. I know he has J9. I can't fold though.

Still, turn and river are both aces, so all's well that ends well.

***

So I've been card dead, and on the bubble I gamble and push with KT. Luckily, some tard calls with T9. EZ money, right?

Wrong. Flop is 998.

***

So I raise with KK and some guy pushes over. I snapcall. He has AK. Flop is A high, three hearts and I have the K of hearts. I am less of an underdog than he was before the flop.

LOL.

At the moment, it doesn't really matter whether I'm a favourite, I lose anyway.

This is killing me. There was no alternative play there. No way to play that differently. I raised and some guy pushed. I either call or fold. If he had turned his hand face up, I would have snapcalled. So what can you do?

***

I guess you need those things to go your way if you also make bad plays. On another table, I took a risky push with 22. Called in two spots, both pairs. Sigh.

At another, on the bubble, I raise with 77. Some guy reraises. It's odd that he doesn't push. It means one of two things. Either he thinks I'm stealing, because I've raised a fair bit, and is going for a cheap resteal. Or he has a big hand and doesn't want me to fold.

This puts me in a terrible spot. I don't want to fold, because I'm probably ahead, but if I push, everything calls, and I'm probably only ahead in a coinflip at best, and some of the time, I'm miles behind to a bigger hand.

But folding seems far too weak here. I push then and he shows KK. GG me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

boots sez:

Everybody has an opinion and most of them are wrong, a friend told me that once.

I'm of the opinion that what is going on is that you're having a problem of perspective.

What you are doing is playing a game called "poker". You are playing against human opponents. The rules are well defined, and the statistics are known. You're playing that game very well.

However. While you are playing "poker" and playing it well, the world-at-large is playing quite a different game. It is playing "kick zen's ass until his nose bleeds".

Now, it is my somewhat mad opinion that as long as you continue playing "poker" according to the rules and strategies of that game, and the world-at-large keeps playing "kick zen's ass until his nose bleeds", you are going to find things quite difficult. It's my view that you not only need to learn how to play against the world-at-large, you need to cheat at it.

It works for me. But I'm mad and you are not.