Wednesday 23 April 2008

1K

When I first started to learn to play STTs, I said that I would play a thousand $5 games and if I was going well, I'd believe I could win at them. I moved up before I'd done a thousand, but I still play them from time to time when I'm working.

I have finally made the thousand mark and, whatever happens to me in poker, I will know that I made at least one goal, which was to win at the $5s.

So I do. I can be certain of that. In 1K games, I have made 34.7% ROI. Given that I mostly play these while I'm doing other things, rarely playing any attention, it's pretty decent.

I've won 169 of them (tenhanded, which most have been, par is 100) and placed in 422 (par is 300; if I only played regulars or paid more attention, I daresay I'd make the money a bit more often, but I don't, and this is still mroe than respectable). It was thrilling to win the first and I still love to win. Sadly, I didn't win the 1Kth. I made a bad play and came second. But I have learned a lot in playing them, and from all the sources I use to improve. I have ups and downs but I take comfort in knowing that I am at least winning at poker. The $20 I deposited way back when is still in the game, still increasing bit by bit.

5 comments:

Father Luke said...

STTs are Satellite Tourneys?

The $20 I deposited way back when is still in the game, still increasing bit by bit.

Heh. That's cool.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Dr Zen said...

STTs are single-table tournaments.

Satellites are tournaments that feed into bigger tournaments. Sometimes they are STTs.

Tournaments with more than one table are called MTTs (multitable tournaments), not to be confused with multitabling (playing more than one table at once, which you must do if you want to make decent money).

Anonymous said...

boots sez:

I have made 34.7% ROI

The $20 I deposited way back when is still in the game, still increasing bit by bit.

So after playing a thousand games you've made $6.94?

And here I though you were lazy, looking for an easy way to make a buck.

Leg-pulling aside, your percentage is pretty good. Don't know if it's enough without knowing how long it's taken.

Back when I was gambling, I found that I needed to make a profit of at least 100% per month to stay in business. Other guys were pounding their chests over 15% per year.

Undercapitalization can be a bitch.

Dr Zen said...

That's 34% a game bro. If you could find an investment that paid that, you would be a very rich man. Sadly, you just can't play enough $5 games to get rich off them! (Can't invest enough, iow.) I could invest maybe $55 an hour. I don't, as it happens, but I could fairly easily.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I think I see. And you're trying to move to "higher" games so you can invest more?

I was probably making about the same percentage on an average gamble. Problem was expenses. When you're spending $6000-10000 per month on bullshit you believe you absolutely must have, it tends to eat your profits instead of letting them accumulate. New cars, new houses, private schools, all that tends to add up. I was lucky to get out with my skin mostly intact.

Best luck Zen.