Thursday 9 October 2008

wtf 3

I genuinely feel like crying. These aren't just 70/30s. These are people laying really incredible beats on me. Not just one or two. At least a dozen in the past two dozen games. In literally half my games, I'm getting outdrawn by guys hitting no more than four outs, flopping straights or flushes against my big hands...


Full Tilt Poker Game #8410250300: $11 + $1 Sit & Go (Turbo) (63995674), Table 1 - 40/80 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:25:14 ET - 2008/10/09
Seat 1: greenpolo888 (2,660)
Seat 2: rajangoog (1,685)
Seat 4: Brewmaster8 (2,345)
Seat 6: basatagirl (1,410)
Seat 7: ak800 (1,270)
Seat 8: TestJunkie (1,350)
Seat 9: Sweetcheet (2,780)
ak800 posts the small blind of 40
TestJunkie posts the big blind of 80
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to basatagirl [Td As]
Sweetcheet folds
greenpolo888 folds
rajangoog folds
Brewmaster8 folds
basatagirl has 15 seconds left to act
basatagirl raises to 200

Standard raise. I expect both to fold quite often.

ak800 folds
TestJunkie calls 120

He should fold. He has KJs. Calling that with 11BB against a player he knows is tight is no good. Even though my range widens on the button, he should still fold. If he thinks he's ahead of me, he needs to shove. But I'm not that wide. I don't have a big stack or anything, and I'm not going to be raising many hands KJs beats. On many flops, I'll cbet and he's going to have to fold. He can't stop and go often because I'll call a lot of the time.

*** FLOP *** [Qs 3c Ks]
TestJunkie checks
basatagirl checks

Why don't I cbet here?

1/ His range has a lot of Ks and Qs and a lot of pairs. He won't fold any of that. Some he'll shove and I'll have to fold my four outs.
2/ The flush draws won't fold either.
3/ The rest of his range is hands that have somewhat hit this: he might have JT/J9 and may call or even shove with them.

*** TURN *** [Qs 3c Ks] [Jh]

Nice! I turn my straight.

TestJunkie bets 1,150, and is all in
basatagirl calls 1,150

Easy call of course.

TestJunkie shows [Jc Kc]
basatagirl shows [Td As]

So he has four outs. I am a 10.5 to 1 favourite. I have to fade two Js and...

*** RIVER *** [Qs 3c Ks Jh] [Kd]

...two Ks.

WTF.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing you can do...

I've experience quite a swing myself these past days and it just feels awfull when you are playing your best.

Having read about the StoxPoker offer you took at Titan, I decided to try for myself and quickly got the 90 points. On top of that I ran insanely hot, like 180% ROI(I'd like to think that I played well). Unfortunately I have lost almost all of the winnings the last couple of days.
My problem is that I take more chances and gets LAGish, when I win, even though I've been struggling to play a Moshman TAG style.
But I guess my numbers means nothing because I'm only single tabling and play at most 5-10 games a night. Still, it's hard not to feel bad when you have a losing streak of several days.

I think I'll take a break and watch some of the Stox videos instead.

GL at the tables. I'm sure you'll find the 'zone' again.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... reading my own comments, I guess I was not playing my best, when I allowed myself to play Lagish and take chances...

Dr Zen said...

Bad beats hurt a lot more when you only play a few tables. You don't have the volume to get over it. And when you take a few beats, you're going to start tilting and doing things you shouldn't. I am trying to be honest with myself that my biggest problem isn't being unlucky, but playing badly when the luck doesn't go my way.

BTW, feel free to email me a couple of HHs if you'd like me to look them over. As you know, I'm not an expert, but if you think I can help, I'd be glad to. drzen1 AT gmail DOT com is my address.

Anonymous said...

Honesty is very hard if you're tilting. I guess that playing badly when luck doesn't go your way can be defined as tilt?

I found some pretty interesting video's on Stox from Jared Tendler, dealing with the mental side ('Foundation' and 'Tilt' expecially). I can recommned it!

Thanks alot for the HH offer. I might just take you up on that!

Dr Zen said...

Yeah, that's exactly what tilt is, and I'm very prone to it.

Jared's videos seem excellent to me. I watched a couple. I could definitely do with some diaphragmatic breathing, and not yelling CAN I NOT JUST WIN ONE FUCKING HAND WHEN I'M MILES AHEAD?, which scares the neighbours.

Anonymous said...

boots sez:

"Bad beats hurt a lot more when you only play a few tables."

Then play only one.

"CAN I NOT JUST WIN ONE FUCKING HAND WHEN I'M MILES AHEAD?"

Apparently you need a bit of madness.

Certainly you would consider it mad to imagine that the cosmic order forbids your taking credit for things you've not done.

In a game of chance, how much do you actually do? Do you make the river's choices for it?

Well if you need it less enough you might find that in a way you do.

Dr Zen said...

I don't doubt I need some madness, boots. Crazy manic glee at the turns a hand can take would definitely help.