Thursday 1 May 2008

How not to check it down

Here is how not to check it down.


Full Tilt Poker Game #6243960089: $6 + $0.50 Sit & Go (Turbo) (47524616), Table 1 - 120/240 - No Limit Hold'em - 1:58:16 ET - 2008/05/01
Seat 1: LDCrayne (660)
Seat 3: JDaGr8 (4,070)
Seat 4: mikesworld (5,870)
Seat 5: basatagirl (2,900)
basatagirl posts the small blind of 120
LDCrayne posts the big blind of 240
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to basatagirl [Kh 6h]
JDaGr8 folds
mikesworld has 15 seconds left to act
mikesworld calls 240
basatagirl calls 120

I just call because I'm hoping shorty will push and we'll check it down and knock him out.

LDCrayne raises to 660, and is all in
mikesworld calls 420
basatagirl calls 420

So I call and obv. so does the other guy. He seems to have understood not to a/ bet me out of the pot first time round and b/ shove and make me fold after the other guy pushes.

*** FLOP *** [Kd 2c Qs]

I have top pair but I don't bet. The big stack has shown every sign of being retarded, and I'd hate for him to push and make me fold.

But truth is, even if he did, I could call, because I'd need to be super unlucky to bubble.

Anyway, I don't mind checking it down. Just in case allin guy has KT and the other guy would have made two pair on the turn or river.

basatagirl checks
mikesworld checks
*** TURN *** [Kd 2c Qs] [7h]
basatagirl checks
mikesworld has 15 seconds left to act
mikesworld checks

But really, thinking about it. I'd need allin guy to have K7 and retard to have Q2, or some similar parlay, to bubble. Remember, if bigstack beats us both, I come third because I started with more chips. Still, best not to fold the other guy out, just in case.


*** RIVER *** [Kd 2c Qs 7h] [Qd]
basatagirl checks
mikesworld bets 960
basatagirl folds

So he has to have a queen, right?

Uncalled bet of 960 returned to mikesworld
*** SHOW DOWN ***
mikesworld shows [Ac Td] a pair of Queens

No.

He bet me out of the sidepot with no pair.

I mean, wtf? Did he think that I call with a worse hand? Does he think, hmmm, if I fold out a better hand, I'll be ahead of the other guy and win? Well, he must.


LDCrayne shows [As 2h] two pair, Queens and Twos

But he doesn't beat him.

And I went on to bubble. In a just universe, the retard would have bubbled himself. And he nearly did. But he sucked out on the key hand, and finally sucked out on me when I pushed over a SB limp with 33 and his QJ caught a J.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jeez man, you have having those beats that i have on a daily basis... i can get into the money about 20% of the time ( 70% if i get an average stack)
but crap like this happens to me also.

its nice to hear that someone else is having trouble making it to the top... sometimes i feel like the only one... expecially when i get aces... guy goes all in with kings ( has been playing like a donk and became a big stack after sucking out of 88's club and spades and jacks ( hearts and diamonds) in another hand with 10 4 clubs ( for a club flush) and then spikes a king on flop against my aces...