Monday 15 December 2008

Beating the micros

I'm going to post this here because I think it's pretty sound and maybe someone who's struggling will stumble on it.
It's my answer to the question, what is the best way to approach micro stakes cash games online? I know, I don't play cash, but still, I know how I'd do it if I did.

***

If you have top pair with a good kicker, generally bet and keep betting until you have their money or they have yours. Sometimes you will have to fold when it's painfully obv. you are beat, but this means "when the fishy guy who has not taken the betting lead for three hours checkraises you on the turn" not "when the aggrotard shoves over your lead on a flop showing a flush draw". Be willing to slow down against players who fold weak hands though. You'll know who they are. Be very unwilling to fold TPTK though, because at the micros, you'll come across tons of guys who will bet TP of any kind on all three streets. It's okay to check to them if you fear you are beaten, but don't fold if you can help it.
If you have an overpair or stronger, bet and keep betting until you have their money or they have yours. Don't get into the habit of making "great laydowns" of strong hands.
Remember that in limped pots, you will come across more bizarre hands than in raised pots. Try to ensure that most, if not all, pots you enter outside the blinds are raised. You want them to pay to try to make flushes with 83s.
If you have no pair, mostly fold, don't chase unless it's extremely cheap and mostly only when you close the betting or are decently sure that the fishy guy behind you will just call along.
Do not often slowplay. They love to call so you need to fall in love with betting.
Do not bluff players who love to call. Do bluff players who are looking for excuses to fold.

Basically, their wide range is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they will hit ridiculous strong hands that you cannot read them for because they can have so many other hands, but on the other, they will hit lots of weak hands that you also cannot read them for because you just won't believe they found them strong enough to call with. There are many more ways to have a bad hand than a good one, so on the whole, betting hands that are better than most will make money. And when we say bet, we mean bet hard. If they are calling big bets with middle pair, bet big when you have top pair. If they are calling pot with draws, bet the pot at them. Bet more if they insist on chasing for more.

This is how you win at gambling: wager as much as the other guy is willing to wager when you are a favourite, and wager as little as you can when you are not. (This doesn't mean stick your stack in every time you are ahead, because the other guy won't often wager that much with you.)

1 comment:

Father Luke said...

I'm going to post this here
because I think it's pretty sound and
maybe someone who's struggling will
stumble on it.


Yup.

Been hitting 2+2 again also.
I have time now for study and play.

FWIW I'm reading more than playing.

When I play I'm only playing the
tiniest stakes possible. When I
continue winning there, I will go
up to the next highest level.

A time for all things, I suppose.
Now is for reading, and reacquainting myself with the game.

Thanks for your poast.

--
Okay,
Father Luke