Saturday 29 December 2007

circles

This is what I fear. That what I know works somewhat, but it isn't right. If it isn't right, it will not serve into the long run.

I have lots of poker knowledge in my head. But it's quite jumbled. Some is definitely sound: I know pot odds; I understand reasons for betting and raising; I know what are good hands and what bad, and I understand why (and I don't just mean I know what are good hands for tight players; I know what hands are good against which type of players); I am not so bad at analysing hands in terms of their maths. I know the outlines of a lot of other parts of knowledge.

I know some of what I lack: I am not good at reading other players (too much playing and reading at the same time--which I can fix); I am not sure which hands to play in which situations, so that I'm not certain whether I'm playing too tight for a situation or too loose; I sometimes misfire with aggression--bluffing calling stations too much and tight players not enough; I sometimes play too weakly.

I chose sitngos because they fit my skillset best and because I started winning at them. I still do but I think anyone with my level of knowledge would. I want to do better. I don't want to play a million $5 sitngos and win at 20-30%. I want to crush them and move up, and win at higher levels.

So what should I do? I can't afford a coach to set me straight. I am afraid to keep piling good knowledge onto bad knowledge. I don't know how to analyse what I do, let alone what I know. I am afraid above all that I will start to win again, and not know whether I'm playing better, learning more, or just running better.

And the worst is, it spills over into life. I have started hating the people I play against. It's desperately unfair that they play so badly and win and I play well and lose and I can't get past it. And the frustration of not progressing makes me tilt in my life. It just makes everything seem so desperate. And it all feeds back, in a vicious circle.

Sometimes I feel I should take a break for a couple of months, let my head clear and then start from scratch. Imagine I know nothing and start from that.

But what good would it do? The old knowledge would crowd back into my head and I'd be back here a couple of weeks later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

boots sez:

"Sometimes I feel I should take a break for a couple of months, let my head clear and then start from scratch. Imagine I know nothing and start from that.

But what good would it do? The old knowledge would crowd back into my head and I'd be back here a couple of weeks later."


Earlier you said, "I have lots of poker knowledge in my head. But it's quite jumbled."

A break can let it unjumble itself.

I will offer you a suggestion Zen, please take it as no more than a suggestion.

Set some amount of time. Call it 3 weeks, it's arbitrary. For the first third of it, get completely away from poker, try not even to think about it. For the second third choose the lowest possible level, the one that is least money-risky, and play your gut alone. For the third week, get entirely away from it again.

It may be that after the third week has passed, things may have unjumbled enough so that you can function at whatever your proper level is. Or it may be that you decide that really you play better by your gut alone.

Perhaps this sounds mad to you. Was it me, I would either play in some different mode, or keep entirely away from it for a time to let things unjumble themselves.

And in my time away I'd smoke lots of joints or drink lots of whiskey or something to get my head loosened up from itself.