Monday 18 June 2007

What is he thinking?

In that title, the "What" is extraneous. I'm not this guy did any thinking at all.

This is a fiver sng.


Seat 2: brett_favre4 ($3,115 in chips) Seat 3: X carpy12 ($1,630 in chips) Seat 4: stoneroooo ($1,290 in chips) Seat 5: Marmalaise ($1,590 in chips) Seat 6: Wil Turner ($1,960 in chips) Seat 8: schatje53 ($2,600 in chips) Seat 9: Dr Zen ($1,470 in chips) Seat 10: klanglicht ($1,345 in chips) ANTES/BLINDS
schatje53 posts blind ($50), Dr Zen posts blind ($100).

I have 9c2d, so I'm not expecting much out of this hand. I've only played one hand all tourney, betting 4BB UTG with AA. All folded. I don't like getting aces UTG. It's a double bind. If you raise it up, you're not likely to get callers; if you don't, you're likely to get far too many. This table has not been quite aggro enough to limp and reraise it. So anyway I don't expect to make a lot of money from AA necessarily.

PRE-FLOP
klanglicht calls $100, brett_favre4 folds, X carpy12 calls $100, stoneroooo folds, Marmalaise folds, Wil Turner calls $100, schatje53 calls $50, Dr Zen checks.


A free ride for one of the worst hands you can be dealt. What makes this level eminently beatable is that players are willing to limp at these blinds, even with hands that don't really figure to do well multiway.

FLOP [board cards 9D,2H,5D ]

Woohoo! You could not score a better flop for 92, except to have it rainbow. I'm playing this fast.

schatje53 bets $100, Dr Zen bets $500

About potsized, which should hopefully fold out any flush draws.

klanglicht calls $500

So I put him on a flush draw or just possibly A9/A5/A2. An ace on the turn would be a bit scary.

X carpy12 folds, Wil Turner folds, schatje53 folds.

TURN [board cards 9D,2H,5D,KS ]

No scare cards there so I'm going to put it in and hope he calls with whatever shit he peeled with.

Dr Zen bets $870 and is all-in, klanglicht calls $745 and is all-in.

He turns up KhQh. WTF? How does he call that raise on the flop? Even if he puts me on a bare nine, he doesn't have the odds to draw to his six outs. The backdoor flush draw is a plus, but not a huge one. On the turn, I suppose he has to call.

No one with a clue would have put themselves in this position. Had I simply smoothcalled the bet on the flop then yes, I can see a call there and hope to get lucky. But potcommitting yourself with overcards is not good poker. This is not floating with a hand that you can be fairly sure will be a winner if it comes in. This is not even a loose call for a single bet preflop. This is gambling hopelessly. No one wins at poker if they do that. Yes, he might have got lucky this once, rivering a K, 5 or Q, but what about all the other times he does this and does not get lucky?

They don't think about that.


RIVER [board cards 9D,2H,5D,KS,JC ]


SHOWDOWN
Dr Zen shows [ 9C,2D ]
klanglicht shows [ QH,KH ]

Still, I made my own bad play later to bust myself on the bubble. On the button, I raised 99 and a player I know to be pisspoor called in the BB. The flop came T high, so I pushed. Whoops. He had TT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your weblog.
Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the
excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog
like this one today.

Feel free to visit my blog; spielen
Also see my page > spiele online