Thursday 14 June 2007

Grinner

This morning I lost four straight sitngoes, playing horribly and getting not a sniff of luck. But last night I won a ticket to a ten-dollar tourney by winning a three-er, so I got into a 52-man tourney.

On the first hand, I took a risk. I had limped with QJs and the button raised to 50. I called that and so did three or four others. The flop came A98 with two of my suit. It was checked to the raiser, who bet. I put him on an ace, and just pushed. I'm representing a strong hand, so I'm hoping for a fold, but if called, I have thirteen outs to beat top pair. The raiser called and showed A9. I rivered the flush, which was a cue for a ton of shit from the raiser.

But dude, I said, raising that shit so little is going to get you callers and my play on the flop is fine. The raiser didn't agree but that's his prerogative. I thought it was worth some risk to get doubled, otherwise I would never have limped QJs in the first place.

So I had a stack and then didn't pick up a hand right to the bubble. By the time we were down to 16 players, I was down to 14th place and desperate. I found ways to chip up, and survived to 11th, with ten getting paid. In one spot, I folded AKs to an allin, which is ultratight but this was my first 10er ever and I wanted to make the cash at least. Finally, the bubble burst and I doubled my stack when KQ called my push with AK and neither of us improved. I took more chips when AT was called by KT and neither helped.

I played tight, allowing the desperate players to fall by the wayside, getting more and more excited as my position improved. I got it in with a big hand and doubled again, so that I was over 20,000 and second of three. I played cagily, looking to chip up where I could, but mostly getting battered by the big stack. The other two players were keener to tangle, and one was beaten down but not out. I finished him with a push that he called light.

Heads up, I was nervous. I had a chip lead but it wasn't huge. I came out firing, and took down a decent pot, giving me a decent lead. A couple of hands later, I woke up with AT and raised. He called. The flop came 543 and I pushed, hoping to fold out a draw or worst case, get called by high cards. He called and showed K6, but he didn't help. AND I WON!!

I will win again, I hope, and I win sngs often, so I'm used to coming out on top, but this is the first time I've won an MTT. Even better, I never had to rely on luck, never going in behind. I just picked my spots and won the pots that were mine to win.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Good for you. :-)

A

Anonymous said...

boots sez:

I never had to rely on luck

So luck never entered into the play?

Dillo said...

Good one bud. Always nice to have a win.

Hey, are you an Aussie? (Your other blog suggests it, at least the 'kookaburras and eucalypts' bit!)

Lobve to know where and when you play online. Get onto my blog if you want to get something going, not that I've got a bankroll of any note! I'm over in the West. Ur call.

And keep up the blogging. They're both very good!