Tuesday 12 June 2007

Bad play

At the final table of a five-dollar tourney, you have 125,000 chips. The big stack has 250,000 and the small stack 8,000 after paying his 8,000 blind. He has about only one more orbit to go. You pick up AQ and make it 20,000 to go. The big stack comes over the top for 120,000. The big stack has had a few lucky hands, pushed his luck a bit, and has seen me pushed off a few hands. What do you do? Well, I wasn't really paying attention. I thought the small stack had called. If I had realised he'd folded, I had an easy fold. Although I'm beating the big stack's range, it doesn't make sense to risk my stack when the other guy is on the respirator. On the other hand, if I won the hand, I am in a commanding position, reversing it with the big stack. Were it HU, it would be an easy call. Anyway, I called, the big stack shows JJ, which makes it a coinflip, and the coin comes down hooks, with the flop JJQ. So the call cost me a hundred dollars but I can't complain. Incidentally, the big stack's bet was terrible. If I had realised that the small stack had not called, I would have folded and the big stack would have missed a great chance to bust me or take more money. In his shoes, I would have flatcalled and seen a flop. He wins anyway if the flop doesn't show paint, and if it does, he can still call if he thinks I'm weak, and he's no worse off than if we had gone all in before the flop. With the flop as it was, I was going to go bust or close to it anyway. This was his style though. He had pushed a lot of guys off hands, which is a good way to go for the big stack: you use the chips to push the other guys around, make every decision very difficult. But here it was the wrong thing to do. He just isn't going to get enough big hands to make it worthwhile to steal with them. The move would have been better with a pair of 7s or rags.

No comments: