Wednesday 18 July 2007

How to lose SNGs

So here we are. A $5 sng. I don't have notes on any of the players but I have played at least a couple before. One was about average: a bit too loose and a bit too keen to put money in with moderate hands – we'll call him SD. Another was very poor. We had a bit of banter about a hand he played very badly, and he busted out when it was very clear he was beaten – we'll call him AR. I half recognise another couple of names but nothing springs to mind about them. I'm having some connection problems so that's going to be an extra element in it.


t20
93. Fold
AQ. Limp. I limp this from EP. I don’t like to commit chips with this hand before the flop because it's going to need help. I flop nothing. Some guy bets 50, another raises to 200. I fold, bettor folds.
53. Fold.
Q9. Fold.
KJ. I am probably the only player at this table who will fold this.
95s. I fold.
J2 in the BB. I check. Flop T43. I disco before I can fold.
A4. AR makes a 3BB raise. I fold. I would have folded without the raise. I hate playing A-rag OOP. He gets three callers, which is nice and loose. I haven't really been watching but one of them is very short. AR makes a huge bet on the flop and all fold.
Q8s. I fold. I won't play a hand this weak, even from the button.

t30
77 in the CO. I limp but I miss the flop. Shorty pushes. He has nothing but rivers a pair. The guy who called him had middle pair of 3s. I'm not sure I'd bother calling in his shoes, even against a shorty.
87. I fold. Chips fly and someone pushes, but the other guy folds. I'm not keen on his play, betting big then folding. What can you have that you like enough to put chips in but not enough to call the shove?
JJ. A bet and a raise from shorty ahead of me, so I fold it. It's close though and I regret it because I was ahead of both. I'm cool with it though. I generally don't like to get it in with JJ anyway. Shorty is eliminated and there are 9 players.
KJ. I fold.
43. I fold. Most hands are getting raised, but the table is nice and loose.
72. Fold.

t50
53s in the BB. Someone makes the tard push for 1200 and is called. Tard has TT. Caller has A7. A7! How do you call with that? I mean, apart from anything else, you are probably behind the pusher's whole range!
T2. Fold.
Disco'd for a hand.
T9. Fold. A nothing sort of flop, J high, but two guys get it all in. One is the caller from the allin hand a couple back. He has QJ. He is clearly not a great player. The other guy has KJ. The bad caller has him just covered, so he is not knocked out.
85. Shorty pushes, and is doubled up. He had JJ.
73. Shorty pushes T7 this time. AQ pushes over him. Shorty scores a full house! The other guy is quite upset. But even good hands don't come with guarantees.
J2. Fold
KT. Fold. Shorty pushes again. He's enjoying himself now. No callers
K7. Fold. Someone has disco'd. I'm secretly hoping they stay disco'd because I'm nowhere and we still have 9 runners. Next hand is t100 blinds.

t100
J8 in the BB. I fold to an EP minraise. Not an auspicious start but I'm not calling a raise with a hand like that.
T5s. I fold that to shorty's push. He has pushed 76. Called by JT. He flops two pair this time!
43. Fold.
42. Fold.
T3s. Hm. This deck is a tad cold.
42. Fold.
Q4s. Fold.
A9. Fold.
87s. Fold.
76s in the BB. Limped to me and I check. I flop a straight flush! The other guy only pays a smallish bet on the river though.
A9. Folded to me so I raise small. He calls. I checkfold the flop, KQx. I just had a feeling he had it. Preflop raise was a bit on the small side to be honest.

t150
A2. Folded to me but I fold. I feel that the same guy will call and bet any flop. I prefer not to rely on hitting my ace to feel I can continue.
A6. This time I raise to 600. I flop middle pair and push. So I'm back up to 2070 chips.
KQ. I fold. I could raise but at a loose table I'm likely to be behind if I'm called. Maybe could have limped.
T9. Fold.
Q8. Fold. Still 9 players. The table started quite loose but they've tightened up a bit. A lowish flop, and some chips go in. AR is involved but he ducks it.
93. Fold. I defy anyone to win an SNG with these cards. I'm actually third in chips though!
33. Fold. Not from UTG.
JTs in the BB. SB pushes. I fold. Button folds too.
A7. AR pushes. I fold. He did the "I've got to go" thing, which means "I have a monster, please call".
T8. I fold. BB pushes KQ. Called by AT. We are down to 8. That call is a warning to me.
Q5. I fold.
AQ. Call, minraise, I push. QJs calls. Obviously, he flops a J and rivers another. I am down to 235.
84. Fold.
T6s. I am in desperate shape of course. I have one more hand before the blinds. Another allin confrontation and another guy is left very short.
T6. I fold. So I'm all in next hand whatever I have.
T4. Oh well. Three limpers. I miss the flop completely. And the turn. And the river. IGH.

So okay, that was pretty typical of how it's been going for me. Two playable hands outside the blinds; one I fold to a lot of action, the other is cracked by a retarded caller. I'm getting sick of getting it in with dominating hands that do not hold up though.

So I get back on the horse. Nine complete unknowns.

t20
J8s. I fold.
73. Fold. A 10BB raise is called in two places. So I know I'm not up against decent players. I can't think of a hand I would call that with.
JT. Fold.
76s. Fold. Shoulda called. Flop comes 66x, two all in. Both have pairs; bigger one holds up.
T8. Fold. Button raises 5BB. Shorty calls. Button had 98s. I don't see the point of that to win t30 in blinds. Shorty doubles up when he flops a pair of Ks.
K4. Fold. A nothing hand. Shorty hands a hundred or so over to someone else.
32. Fold.
83 in the BB. Limped to me and I check. Flop QQ2. I fold to SB bet. Big raise, one call. Raiser bets turn, river, called both times. Flush on board but caller has a bad queen. Raiser has AQ. I have my eye on him.
88. I call a minraise. QQT flop. All check. J turn. Bet and I fold. Bettor has straight. Shorty has called him down with just about nothing. 9 left.
KT on the button but I fold. I'd call in a limit game but not in an SNG.


t30
A7. Fold. Raggy aces are bad hands at any level, let alone t30.
92. Fold.
94. Fold. I have 1420 chips.
Q7. I fold.
JT. Fold. Fire's going in the bowl. Getting stoned won't affect how I play. How can it? All I'm doing is fold fold folding.
J9s. Fold. I looked away and someone got busted. No idea how. Don't care. 8 left.

t50.
T2 in the BB. Somehow I fold. Not sure how. Maybe I missed a hand in there somewhere. Missed the flop anyway. Chips are flying in. Some guy leaves himself with 400ish chips.
T4. I fold to a raise.
82s. I fold. It's worrying that raises are not often getting called. A lot of HU cagey postflop.
96. Fold.
K5. Big raise ahead of me, I fold. Raiser has JJ. Called by 66 and he goes home. 7 left.
J2. I fold. AA limps and calls shorty's push. 6 left.
QT. Fold.
85s in the BB. I fold to a raise.
85 in the SB. I fold that. I have 1270 chips and I am the shorty.
K6. I fold.
QJs. I raise to 200. Called. I totally miss flop. Cbet 300. He pushes. FUCK!

t100
T5s. So I now have 770 chips. Sigh. The very tight table suddenly loosened up on the only fucking hand I've raised all night!
Disco'd
J6. I check. Two limpers. I push QJ5 flop. First limper has QQ. Erm. WTF?

No comments: