Saturday 29 March 2008

Suckout hell

OMG. Doomswitch time.

I'm making the right play a ton, but still losing every tourney I play.

Take this hand:

I have 98 in the BB and call a minraise at t50. I know this is a bit loose, but I figure it's worth seeing whether I can outplay someone dumb enough to minraise. He probably has an AJ/99 type of hand.

So it flops Q83 rainbow and I'm pretty sure I'll be ahead. I check, he cbets, I call. The turn is a 6, putting two hearts on the board. He bets half the pot and I CRAI. I know I have him beat.

He calls with AhJh. I am a favourite to win and his call is rubbish, obv., but I wouldn't be writing this post if he didn't river a J.

This is something I find tough to deal with. My decision making is excellent. The preflop call is questionable but my reasoning was sound. I read his hand pretty well and knew I was ahead. But I busted. And my records show eight losing tourneys in a row. You get nothing for having your aces busted (three times in eight games) or for facing a bewildering range of suckouts.

No comments: