Thursday 15 November 2007

No amount of outs too few for you

I hate poker.

I'm playing the plus 500, PokerRoom's premier donkfest, and I haven't been picking up many hands. So I limp in with 88, and the flop comes T86. I bet and we end up with three allin. I treble up.

Now I am happy.

Then I pick up AA, UTG+1. I limp, which is very unlike me. But the table has been fairly aggro, so I hope to get raised behind. No luck with that, we go six to the flop. It comes fairly dry J high rainbow. A good flop for me, and I lead out nearly potsized. Some tard pops it up a ton. I figure he likely has AJ/KJ rather than a set, because there isn't a donk alive who will raise a set when he can slooooowplay it in the most retarded way.

So I push and donkey calls. He has JT.

WTF? There is no way I don't have JT beaten. How can he think I don't? The board is so dry that I cannot realistically be trying to get him off his monster with a draw. The worst hand I have is AJ, and given the action he can expect to see a set.

But of course he's at level one, so all he sees is TOP PAIR. Woo hoo. Stick it in with that, dude, who cares what everyone else has?

So I'm happy anyway. I've got his stack, right? Wrong. It wouldn't be the JokerRoom we know and love if he didn't river a J.

This is the thing that puts me on tilt. Less and less the more I play, but it still makes me seethe. The idiot puts all his money in with a hand that is beaten EVERY TIME but the poker gods bless him with one of his five outs.

Anyway, that cripples me, but I get a free ride in the BB with KJ and the flop comes KJx, two diamonds. Not bad, because I know that I will likely have a customer for my whole stack. But I can only bet so much on the flop and one guy calls.

The turn is an A.

He could have called on the flop with a range of hands, but let's face it, when the A comes, the only hand that he can have is QT. Because otherwise, I would not have a hard-luck story.

What I hate is that he never did a thing right in the hand. He limped QT, which is bad. He didn't raise his straight draw on the flop but called at bad odds. All he did was call pf, call flop, call turn and he is still in the tourney.

Caps off the day for me, because after struggling up to step 4 in the APPT steps on Stars, I got sucked out on when a tard raised, I pushed over and he called with J8s. I am not kidding. The concept of having fold equity is in the shitter against players like that. We are talking about a guy who raised to 1200 at t400, then called a push for 3000 more.

I won't even talk about what then happened at step 3. It's gruesome.

For all that, I'm actually winning more than I'm losing, and to celebrate I'm going to write some posts about sngs, which obviously no one will read, but you never know, someone searching for sng strategy might stumble across it and find it useful.

No comments: